Saturday, September 18, 2010

Initiation, Expectations, and Mastery - Presented by Dr. Benjamin

This past week a presentation was given to the class by Dr. Benjamin. The presentation stressed how each one of us is scribes in our own way, and how we make our marks in history. In her presentation, Dr. Benjamin went through different buildings at Howard University and gave a brief summary of its history. She told of who the building was named after, and what accomplishments and contributions that person made to black history and the world. One of the building histories that I found most interesting was the history of the Bethune Annex.
Mary Mcleod Bethune was an educator and civil rights activist who founded a school for black students in a time when there were not a lot of educational opportunities. Because of her hard work, today Bethune-Cookman University is present. The contribution of Mary Mcleod Bethune was if interest to me because I reside in the dormitory that was named after her, the Bethune Annex. I think it is great that I had the opportunity to learn about who my dorm was named after and I think that at another university I would not have necessarily had that opportunity.
Dr. Benjamin’s presentation was really intriguing and engaging. Each one of Howards building has a strong history; like the people that these building were named after we must strive to be as strong as they were. As Dr. Benjamin stressed, we are all scribes who must keep moving forward in order to continue the legacy of Howard University.

Safisha Seifullah

No comments:

Post a Comment