Saturday, September 18, 2010

Dr. Carr's Presentation

In this session of Freshmen Seminar, we heard a presentation from Dr. Carr. The presentation had a lot to do with ancient Egyptians (black people) and their discovery of letters and writing. The focus was also on what black people have accomplished from that point on and how our language today can be traced back to the ancient Egyptian times. The presentation that Dr. Carr gave was one of the best that I have ever heard. It really made me re think what I believed to be the accomplishments of black people. Dr. Carr stressed that a lot of times when we think of African American history we start at slaver, and then go forward in time. However, it is important to remember that we existed before slavery and we were active before slavery. From this part of the discussion I took a lot from it and like I really thought about how I viewed my people. It was interesting to learn about the far past that is hardly ever discussed and learn that it did exist. Not once have I ever been taught in school that the ancient Egyptians were black and that they created letters and writing. I have spoken with friends at different universities and shared with them what Dr. Carr spoke of and what I came to find was that a few of them did not believe me. For what reasons, I am not sure, but I think it may be because they are at a majority school and the same message is more than likely not going to be taught to them. The fact that it was taught to me makes me very grateful and appreciative that I attend Howard. The possibilities of what can be accomplished are endless.

-Safisha Seifullah

No comments:

Post a Comment