Saturday, September 18, 2010

Abandonment, Dismemberment, and Reawakening

Last class’s presentation presented by Dr. Georgia Dunston was definitely a learning experience for me, for the ideas that she expressed were of those that I have never considered before. The main focus of her presentation was the importance of wisdom. She expressed the fact that you cannot be powerful without being wise.  The wise knows what they want in life and strive to reach for their goals, without letting distractions slow them down. Along with that, Dr. Dunston expressed the importance of the Genome and that all humans are connected. She explained that Howard University possesses the only African American Genome Research Center as well as the only Genome Research Center in the United States. This research attempts to prove that all humans are connected to each other by more than race, but by DNA. This idea that we are all connected biologically was new to me, and I found the idea intriguing. Dr. Dunston stressed that we should never stop searching for our answers to being here, there are never any ends to being here. What I took from this presentation is the reinforcement that wisdom is power and that striving to reach your goals can take you anywhere, and also I learned a new way to think about people. That we are all connected by more than just our race but by humanity. Though some of the ideas that Dr. Dunston presented were new to me, I truly enjoyed listening to her presentation.

Safisha Seifullah

No comments:

Post a Comment