Thursday, December 2, 2010

A Self Reflection

We were asked to do a self-reflection of the entire Freshman Seminar course thus far. Reflecting on the course allows us to evaluate what we learned from the class that we did not know prior to attending Howard, and what new experiences and life lessons we can now attribute to this class. Overall, my experience in freshman seminar was a very enriching as I learned a great deal about my people. Attending an all black school and taking several African-American history classes, I assumed that I knew everything there was to know about African American culture. However this class taught me more. Not only did we learn about African-Americans, but blacks all around the world of all cultures. We learned about African and Carribean cultures practiced by blacks across the globe and I enjoyed this since I previously knew only about my culture in America. We discussed the roots of our history, traced back to ancient Africa. We even took a trip to an African Burial Ground museum in NYC to learn more about the life of slaves in New York, and how they were buried within the grounds. I enjoyed this part of the class the most because not only had I never visited New York, but to know that I was standing on the very grounds were my ancestors were buried was very moving indeed. This course also helped me learn about the history of Howard and the story behind the names of various buildings around campus. I thought this information was very pertinent because as students here, it is imperative that we know not only the history of our culture, but our school as well. I learned about the African genome, the music and language of ancient African culure, and Ancient Egyptians, jus to name a few. Each session was filled with enriching information that I think helped me understand my culture better. Most of all, I think this course inspired me. It was inspiring to learn about the many illustrious black leaders and innovators of my culture. This made me feel like I could do anything and being a black woman is not a hindrance in society like many may think, but indeed a benefit. This class made me feel proud to be black and made me feel as though my skin color was a source of power in this world. I thank all the TAs and presenters that contributed to my experience and Freshman Seminar was a wonderful class to take, I will certainly never forget it!!! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment