Saturday, November 20, 2010

Self Reflection

As Freshmen Seminar starts to draw to a close, we have all been asked to do a “self-reflection” so that we can recap on our experiences this semester. Recapping on our experiences allows us to see how we have changed since the start of the semester and what we have learned from the class. I would have to say that my experience in Freshmen Seminar was a good one. I was able to learn a lot about black people, culture, Howard, our professors, their beliefs, and values. I was able to grow as a black person in the world by gaining the knowledge of my history. We learned about ancient Egyptians, and writing. We learned of music and how it has changed and shaped black people through the generations. We learned of Howard, and the history behind this school and the great leaders who came from this school. Each session was beneficial and intriguing. I believe because of the course I am more knowledgeable of my past and what my future can possibly hold. I understand even more so now that I am in control of my future, and that I must make wise decisions each day in order to produce favorable outcomes. As I continue through my college career I struggle with right and wrong, like everyone else. The important thing for me to remember is that though it is my future to create, it is the future of my people that is at stake. From our group presentations I learned a lot as well. I was able to hear about different issues facing today’s world, from the decline in black marriages to the war born children in Africa. Each of these issues impact our lives in different ways each day. This class has overall been a truly engaging experience and I am grateful for what I have learned.          

Safisha Seifullah                                                                                                                                                           

No comments:

Post a Comment